Monday, October 10, 2011

the honeymoon's over

My stepdaughter hasn’t talked much about the wedding since the big day. At five years old I don’t think she understood much about what was going on, but we were still glad to have had her present for the ceremony. Life has continued seamlessly for the three of us since then. Having already lived together for the last several years, the only thing that’s changed around our household is my last name.

While my stepdaughter has taken things in stride, I was a little worried that her mother would not. Just before the wedding I started having flashbacks to when she realized the seriousness of the relationship between my husband and I. (She went through a phase a where she would cook dinners for my husband and then send them home with us when we picked up my stepdaughter. I remember one night when she handed me a casserole dish in the driveway and then turned to my husband and said, “here, I made you chili because I know you like spicy food.” Um, weird.)

Luckily the ex seems to have taken things pretty well, although it did take us about three weeks to get her to give us the flower girl dress back. (My stepdaughter went to her mom's after the ceremony since the reception was long after her bedtime). I think I'm pretty lucky if that's the worst thing I have to complain about.

In the meantime, I'm excited to get back to doing some real research again now that the wedding is behind us. I’ll be back here soon with some new findings to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment